Saturday, January 21, 2012

Healthy lunch idea - salsa and chips

I've been trying really hard to lose those few extra holiday pounds and I've been really careful with what I'm eating lately. I discovered/invented this delicious salsa and chip recipe (or it can be eaten as a salad) that can be eaten as a full lunch. It comes out to be a very large portion and it's absolutely delicious.

Here's what you'll need:

3 tomatoes (I used roma but if you use something bigger, maybe just 2)
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 an avocado
1 green onion
juice and zest of half a lime
1/3 of a cucumber, peeled
1 whole wheat pita
Pam olive oil cooking spray
garlic powder
chili powder
salt & pepper


To make:

First, I chopped the tomatoes, avocado, cucumbers and green onions into small pieces (so they'd fit easily on a chip).


Then, squeeze in the lime juice and use a garlic press to crush in the garlic (or just mince it finely).


Then, add the desired amount of spices - I'd say about 1/2 teaspoon of each is good. I added some cumin as well. And lots of salt & pepper.


Then, just mix it all up.


To make the chips:

Cut the pita into bite-sized triangles (make sure you separate the two sides of the pita) and lay them out onto a baking sheet. Then give them a light spritz of the cooking spray and sprinkle with salt, garlic powder and chili powder.


Then bake in a 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes or until they are golden and crispy.


I ended up with more salsa than chips but the salsa was really good to just eat with a spoon. It's very light and fresh tasting and I'd say you could eat it on its own as a salad. I also used a spoon to scoop it onto the chips. I think this would be really good with fresh cilantro in it as well but I didn't have any so I'll add it next time!

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious Pammy!! I love salsa salads. I'm gonna go make it right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Definitely doing this soon.

    http://statementscene.com

    ReplyDelete