Monday, September 17, 2012

(Local) Zucchini Pumpkin Mini Muffins

Yesterday we had my relatives from California over for dinner. Given the fact that they are quite the foodies and they live somewhere that always has fresh, local produce available, we thought we would serve them as local a menu as possible. So, I went with my mom and my Nana on Saturday to a Hutterite colony just west of the city. Just an FYI - if you love the St. Norbert farmers market, you will love this place. It has just as much wonderful produce and meat without the high prices and ridiculous crowds.

Anyway, we decided a menu of chicken, meatballs (made by my nana), potatoes, corn on the cob and watermelon basil salad. We had a wonderful time and Jean and I are even thinking of a trip out their way over spring break!

So, we stocked up and bought a ton of veggies for the evening and for ourselves to enjoy. Anyway, the moral of the story is that I ended up with a very large zucchini and thought it might be nice to make some kind of zucchini bread. I also had some pumpkin puree in the freezer and thought, tis the season, why not try a pumpkin zucchini bread?

I based my recipe off this one I found on skinnytaste.com.




  • 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar (not packed)
  • 1 1/8 tsp baking soda
  • 2 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 large egg, beaten
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini (not packed)

1. Preheat oven to 325.

2. Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix well.


3. Mix all wet ingredients in another bowl. 


4. Combine both the wet and dry ingredients together. I used my hands for this. It was messy but it was the only way to get it mixed really well. 


5. Lightly spray a muffin tin with cooking spray (or use muffin cups). I used a mini muffin tray and it filled it perfectly. Although, the muffins did puff up quite a bit. 



They're not the prettiest but they are quite tasty! The only thing I think I would do is maybe increase the sugar slightly or make a simple cream cheese frosting for the top. They were a tiny bit bland for my taste but if you don't have a huge sweet tooth, they would be perfect! 




No comments:

Post a Comment