Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Festive Quinoa Salad - Perfect for the Holidays!



I sure hope you guys like quinoa because it sure shows up a lot on my blog! My dad actually isn't a huge fan but I usually just make him eat it anyway. It’s good for you, Dad!

Anyhoo, I made this salad to bring to a potluck on Thanksgiving and it was a hit! I think around Thanksgiving and Christmas both, people have a set menu of traditional food. This is great but I also think it’s fun to sometimes mix it up a little and take some traditional flavours and make them new again! This salad would be a perfect addition to any Christmas dinner and it’s festively nutritious as well! It’s also pretty no-fuss as there’s minimal chopping and you don’t have to worry about it getting soggy like you would another salad. In fact, I would recommend dressing this salad a few hours in advance just so the flavours get a chance to mingle. 

I should also mention that this recipe came from a blog I really like called The Fig Tree - with my own twists, of course!

What you will need:

1 box of quinoa
2 tsp Better than Buillon or chicken stock
1 large apple, chopped into small pieces (I used Granny Smith)
1 cup of pecans, toasted & chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries (Craisins)
1/2 cup feta cheese

Dressing:
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
3 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp pure maple syrup
1 tbsp dijon mustard
1/2 tsp cinnamon
S & P


1. Cook quinoa according to package directions. I like to use chicken stock instead of just plain water for a little more flavour in mine but you don't have to do this if you don't want to.


2. Whisk together the ingredients for the dressing.


3. Add the components of the salad together and add dressing. This will help to make sure the apples don't turn brown.


4. Let the quinoa cool to room temp and then toss with the salad ingredients. You are now ready to serve!


 

No comments:

Post a Comment