Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Judy vs. Sam aka Mom vs. Child

I should start off by saying I am a Judy supporter.  I suppose I am a pessimist in saying I doubt Judy will actually win this election but I support her and her platform nonetheless.

Today, we observed/participated in a mayoral debate between the two top candidates in the civic election that will be taking place on October 27.  It's probably safe to say that Sam won the debate, and as a feminist I can honestly say I think Judy's gender had a lot to do with it.  Women often struggle in the workplace to have their voice heard and so often, they are cut off.  While I agree sometimes Judy went on for too long without actually saying something valid, I also think Sam has an "old boy's club" attitude that is extremely distasteful to me.  He belittled Judy and at times almost laughed in her face.

During the debate, Sam was very charismatic and at times made Judy look really stupid.  He got a lot of cheers and fist pumps from the audience but as a voter, it makes me really lose faith in other voters in the city.  When Sam says, "Bring the Jets back to Winnipeg," and then all you hear is a sea of cheers, it sort of makes me wonder if the public really can make an educated decision on who they want for mayor.  This isn't a high school president election.  Just because Sam mentions the Jets, doesn't mean he would be a good mayor for our city.

As a CreComm student, I was also observing Richard Cloutier and I had a new appreciation for what he does as a journalist for CJOB.  He was almost "rude" at times because he is such a slave to the clock.  He has to go to commercials beacuse if he doesn't, he will basically get fired.  With that said though, like Duncan (our Journalism instructor) tweeted about, I think he appeared to be favoring Sam.  He would address him as "Mayor Katz" and Judy as just "Judy" and also ask Sam to speak ahead of Judy quite often.  He also referred to our campus as being on Princess Avenue instead of Princess Street.  He must not be a CreComm grad.

Something neat too is that I was actually interviewed and was on Global News tonight regarding the debate. 
Watch the video here

2 comments:

  1. Lots of good points, Pamela.
    You're right, Cloutier is not a CreComm.
    But that doesn't make him a bad person -- not that you suggested it does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some reporter pushed me out of the way at the forum. I don't know who it was - but it couldn't have been a CreComm grad!

    ReplyDelete