Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Rocky Horror Picture Show (Rocky Horror Glee Show)

In the spirit of Halloween, I thought I'd blog about the cult classic and because I love the show, I thought I'd write about the Glee episode's take on the film.

I don't remember the first time I actually saw The Rocky Horror Picture show but I think I was inspired to see it or at least started becoming a fan after I saw MTC put on the musical.  There were aspects of the play that I really liked however, the actor they chose to play Frankenfurter was very masculine and large.  He was like a big, husky, macho guy.  The character is supposed to be a tranny; you'd expect him to be pretty feminine.  Also, this guy was bald.  He didn't have the same black curls that Tim Curry had in the film.  The play was done well and the actor had an amazing voice but not right for the role in my opinion.

We dressed up to see the play like people do when they see the film and that was probably the best part about it.  After I saw the play, I bought the movie and have probably watched it a hundred times since.  I know all the words to the songs and I even got my sister into it.  Rocky Horror is often misunderstood and unless you know the story or someone who loves you get into it, usually people don't like it.  It's a very strange story and most people just don't get it.  Actually, I don't think anyone really "gets" it and I don't really think that's even the point.  The point is, the songs are fun to sing to and it's just so strange that it's not like any other movie that's out there.

My take on the Glee version of The Rocky Horror Picture Show or The Rocky Horror Glee Show as they called it is that my expectations were too high.  I love the movie and I love the songs.  I had too high expectations for this episode and I was a little disappointed.  "Sweet Transvestite" is probably my favorite song in the film and even though I loved what they were trying to do by having Mercedes sing the song, I just wasn't feeling it.  Glee made the numbers more "musical" and melodic than they are in the movie and I didn't like it.  I guess the film doesn't necessarily showcase amazing talent when it comes to singing and we all know the kids on Glee are wonderful singers so of course they had to show their talent.  It would be wrong for the songs on Glee to showcase "bad" singing.

In this case, I think it's important not to mess with the original.  However, I love, love, loved that Barry Bostwick and Meatloaf had small cameos.  What a wonderful treat for those of us who love the movie!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe they changed the word "transsexual" to "sensational." Brutal!

    ReplyDelete