Saturday, November 6, 2010

Beetlejuice/Sleepy Hollow on Halloween Night

My Halloween plans were quite non-existent this year so on Halloween, I wanted to watch some movies to get me in the spirit.  Luckily, these films were on one after another on TV (both directed by Tim Burton).

Beetlejuice came out the year I was born but it's kind of a classic.  People were surprised when I told them I hadn't seen it.  It really is quite a bizarre movie.  It's not like anything that would be produced today I don't think.  The look and feel of the film (as well as the story-line) reminds me of the old Batman movies (which I love by the way).  I think the best part of the movie is the story and Beetlejuice's character.  Michael Keaton does a wonderful job portraying the raunchy, chauvinistic monster and Winona Ryder is so cute as the little gothic daughter. 

I think even though the story-line is goofy and cheesy at some points, the unique story is what makes Beetlejuice a classic.  It's about two people who are ghosts and are haunted by the living.  They "hire" Beetlejuice to haunt the people who have moved into their house to try and drive them away because this couple isn't so good at haunting.  They are not your typical horror movie ghosts and neither is Beetlejuice for that matter.  The story is most definitely, not a cliche and Beetlejuice is an awesome Halloween movie that you could watch with the kids. 

The second film I watched was on right after and stars Johnny Depp and Christina Ricci.  (Let me just say, Christina Ricci looks really weird with blonde hair.)  The film tells the classic story of the headless horseman and Ichabod Crane. 

As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.  They always create magic together and Sleepy Hollow is no different.  I'm not sure exactly how true they stayed to the original story but either way, Burton's interpretation is brilliant.  One of the best parts of the story is the character Ichabod.  He's very likeable and real even though he's the hero and the protagonist.  Christopher Walken plays the headless horseman and does a wonderful job of spooking people.  The only thing I was wondering was what's with his teeth?  They're pointy and weird-looking and I'm not really sure why.

1 comment: