Saturday, November 20, 2010

My "favorite" scary movies

When I say favorite, I mean the ones that I think had the best script/cinematography/acting, etc.  I say this because you all know that I don't actually "like" scary movies.  I've often thought about why people would actually like them and why they would actually like feeling scared and disturbed but frankly, that's a whole other blog post.  By the way, these are in no particular order.

1. The Ring - When The Ring came out, nothing like it had been done before.  I thought the twist ending was great and it just had such frightening images.  The little girl thing is quite frightening because you'd never think a little girl would be out for revenge like the one in the film is.

2. Thir13en Ghosts - I saw this when I was quite a big younger and I just remember being so terrified (that was back when going to see scary movies was fun because you could snuggle up to your crush of the week).  I don't remember much of the plot but I do remember "The Jackal" being the scariest ghost of them all.

3. House on Haunted Hill - I saw this one when I was probably about 13 or so.  The best part of this film was the sound track.  I believe it was Marylin Manson doing a cover of Annie Lenox's Sweet Dreams are Made of This.  When I was 13, that was such a bad-ass song.

4. Saw - Of course Saw had to be on this list.  Scary movies (not so much with other genres) are always great when they have an original idea.  We have seen the slasher/gory/serial killer/ghost films so much that when an original idea is out there, it's quite refreshing.  I don't think this applies to romantic comedies though; the boy and the girl fall in love and it's (almost) always good.

5. The Grudge - Like The Ring, The Grudge is based on a Japanese flim (my sister says Japanese flims are always the scariest).  I remember me and my bestie (who's still my bf now) watched it at her house when her parents weren't home.  We were in an embrace for most of the movie and we actually screamed out loud on several occasions.

6. 1308 - This is probably one of the last scary movies I saw before I quit watching them.  Again, I felt like it was something I hadn't seen before.  It had probably been done but I guess there's something so scary about being trapped in a room when you're so close, yet so far away from freedom.

7. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the remake) - I actually don't remember being that scared of this movie when I watched it.  I think I might have even watched it by myself.  I haven't seen the original but the remake was really well done.  I liked that Jessica Biel was the only one who survived at the end.  Whenever I hear Sweet Home Alabama I always think of this movie.

3 comments:

  1. Solid list, these movies aren't really that scary but they're good popcorn fodder haha.

    BTW, if you hate scary movies, don't EVER watch the French horror film called Martyrs. It is night-terrors inducing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one time, i was home alone, and my tv turned on and was all fuzzy. then, the fridge door opened. scary stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. although i think that's the ring 2..

    ReplyDelete