Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Book Launch at McNally Robinson

On Sunday, I went to see Grant Lawrence speak at McNally Robinson about his new book called Adventures in Solitude.

I wasn't sure what to expect when I got there but I actually really enjoyed myself.  Grant was a very compelling speaker and read a few excerpts from his book.  One excerpt was about an encounter with a "cougar" while he was swimming naked.  He stopped reading right before the "cougar" was revealed.  He spoke with great enthusiasm and told a fair share of jokes.  There were probably about 40 people there and he signed copies of his book for people at the end.

A neat twist was that he invited local musician Del Barber to perform a few songs in between his readings.  Del's music is folk-style and almost sounds like country without the honky-tonk.  It was just him and his acoustic guitar.

The book is about his cabin which is located at Desolation Sound in B.C. and his various adventures and the people he's met.

I didn't buy the book but Dani did so hopefully she'll let me borrow it :)


1 comment:

  1. This does sound like an interesting book. He sure looks entertaining. Maybe ask for the book for Christmas!

    ReplyDelete