Sunday, March 13, 2011

Gnocchi, gnocchi, who's got the gnocchi?

As a (very) busy student, it's easy to overlook nutrition and good quality food.

I'd like to share one of my favourite recipes with you (and one that I came up with myself, thank-you very much). It's nutritious (sort of) and delicious.

You will need:
1 pkg of whole wheat gnocchi (you can just use regular but whole wheat is healthier. I haven't found whole wheat gnocchi in the grocery store but I get mine at Bulk Barn)
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 onion
2-3 cloves of garlic
splash of olive oil
1 pkg (1 lb) of turkey Italian sausage, casings removed (you can use the regular pork sausages but I like to try and cut the fat a bit)
Large handful of fresh basil.
s & p

What to do:
1. Brown off the meat in a large frying pan. Drain the fat and remove. (You can also add some fennel seed at this point if you like. Fennel seed is the traditional flavouring of Italian sausage)
2. Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi according to package directions. (Basically, throw it in boiling water until they all float to the top) Set aside.
3. Saute the garlic and onion in olive oil until they're soft.
4. Add the can of crushed tomatoes and the meat.
5. Add the gnocchi and roughly chopped basil.

If you'd like, top with a little parm and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment