Sunday, April 24, 2011

Recipes from the beach!

Hi friends - I won't go on and on about how nice it is here because even though it's gradually getting warmer in Winnipeg, I don't want any of you to virally "spit at me".

Instead, I'll share a lovely and easy recipe that we used to make our fresh tilapia last night.

tilapia filets - they're about the perfect size for one per person
1 or 2 eggs
flour
panko bread crumbs - we used a kind we got here (I don't think it's available in Canada) that's already lemon pepper seasoned. You can just use regular panko but you must make sure to season either the crumbs themselves (quite generously) or the flour.

All you have to do is set up a simple breading station. First your flour (I just use dinner plates for this), eggs and then panko. They say you should try to keep one hand in the dry and one in the wet - I always fail at this so I have to rinse my hands once or twice when they get so caked with breading.

Once your fish is breaded, I like to fry them before I put them in the oven to give them a bit of colour. However, I didn't do that this time because the smoke alarm kept going off in the condo so I just put them right into the oven and they were just fine.

We had rather larg fillets so they were probably in the oven for about 13 minutes but it's very important not to overcook them or they'll get dry. Just watch them closely and if you have to take them out a few times to check, that's no big deal. Better than eating dry fish!

That's it for now - here are a few pics to show you where I am and the panko I used.

No comments:

Post a Comment