Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The (not) so scary BBQ

I am fearless in the kitchen. Even though I once had a slight accident involving a small grease fire (that got bigger) that believe it or not, involved the fire department (but that's a different story).

I don't think I'm the only woman out there who will say the BBQ intimidates me. It's big and hot and I'm never really sure if it's actually lit or if I'm just slowly giving myself gas poisoning.

But, this weekend, I overcame some of my fears about the BBQ when I made barbecued pizza. That's right, pizza. Right on the grill. And oh man, I will never make pizza in the oven again. It was so crispy and delicious!

Recipe:
I like to buy my pizza dough from Calabria. They charge $2.99 for a dough ball that you'd get 2 decent sized pizzas out of (4 if you like thin crust). They even have whole wheat!

Pizza-making on the BBQ is a little different than in the oven because you have to work quickly. You have to give the dough a little time on the grill (both sides) before you put the toppings on. I had my dough ready, brushed it on both sides with some olive oil and minced garlic (if you like it) and then I just threw it on. I then left it until it was a little bit golden on the bottom, then flipped it. This was easy because the dough was quite stiff already. Then, I put the toppings on and moved the pizza to the far burner (which I had turned off) just to melt the cheese.

This one is the margherita (basil, tomatoes and mozzarella).

No comments:

Post a Comment