Friday, August 5, 2011

Camping food!


Tis the season friends and with my own camping trip just a week away, I thought I'd share some camping food ideas. (I’ll be sure to post some photos of our camping food experiences when we get back).

I know what you’re thinking – weenies and chips are good enough! Why go through the trouble of cooking when you’re camping and it’s a pain in the ‘you know what’? Well, for a foodie like me, the challenge of cooking when you’re outdoors is half the fun!

One of the best tricks I’ve come across for camping has to do with marinating meat. Steak, chicken, salmon – you name it – this works. All you have to do is put your newly purchased meat into a Zip-loc bag with whatever marinade you like, stick it in the freezer overnight and when you’re ready to leave to go on your camping trip, take it straight from your freezer into your cooler. Voila! The meat will be perfectly thawed by the time dinner rolls around and the flavor is already built in.

You can also check out Canadian Tire’s camping recipes here. They’re great because not only do they outline the ingredients you’ll need to make the dish, but what utensils and tools you’ll need to make it. (I know from experience that it’s very easy to forget a spatula when you’re used to being in a kitchen stocked with spatulas galore.)

No matter what you choose to make though, there’s really nothing better than cooking outside and the taste of food cooked simply, without fancy gadgets or appliances.


No comments:

Post a Comment