Thursday, September 15, 2011

Yet Another Delicious, Lean Recipe

If you're anything like me (maybe you aren't but hear me out anyway), you are constantly trying to watch your calorie intake. I recently joined Weight Watchers and last night I made this fantastic recipe that was only 6 points! For those of you who don't know, that's pretty low for an entire meal.

I got the idea to make this dish from an Eating Light magazine but of course like every recipe, I made my own changes and adjustments to it.

Spaghetti Squash and Turkey Meatballs:

You will need:
1 spaghetti squash (this should be enough for about 4 people depending on the size of the squash)
1 jar of your favourite spaghetti sauce
1 lb of lean ground turkey
1/4 cup of italian style breadcrumbs
1/4 cup of parmesan cheese
1 tbsp of fennel seeds
1 tbsp of chopped, fresh basil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg white
1 tbsp olive oil
s & p

What to do:

1. Cut the spaghetti squash in half lengthwise, remove the seeds and stick in the microwave for about 5-8 minutes. You will know it's ready when you can easily scoop out the "spaghetti" strands. Fully scoop out the squash and set aside.

For the meatballs:
2. Mix the turkey, garlic, egg white, breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, fennel, olive oil, basil and some salt and pepper by hand. Form small meatballs (about the size of a ping pong ball) and place on a baking sheet lined with tin foil.
3. Cook the meatballs under the broiler for about 6 minutes on each side. I can never tell when they're done unless I take a small peek inside one of them so feel free to do this. No one will judge you.
4. Heat the spaghetti sauce in the microwave or in a pot on the stove. When the meatballs are done, mix them with the sauce and serve over the spaghetti squash.
5. Top with a little more s & p (if needed), a little parm and maybe some of the fresh basil to make the plate look pretty!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fantastic - I'll be trying it out next weekend, thanks!

    Also, I love your new masthead!

    ReplyDelete