Thursday, October 27, 2011

Baby it's Cold Outside, Give me Curry

When the weather turns cold, I crave something warm in my belly. Soup, chilli, and mac n' cheese are often on the menu at my house. Winter's coming so it's time to start stocking up on those foods to warm you up from the inside out.

Another warming food I really enjoy is a curry. I love curry - all colours - but yesterday I was craving a yellow Indian curry so that's what I decided to make! I took some photos throughout so I hope that helps you with the recipe.

What you will need:
3 chicken breasts cut into bite-sized peices
any vegetables you have also cut into uniform pieces (I used snap peas, baby carrots, onions and celery but feel free to use anything you have in the fridge)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp fresh ginger (A really good trick for this is to keep it in the freezer so you have some on hand all the time for grating - buy a piece, give it a bit of a peel and then stick it in the freezer. You can then take it out and grate whatever you need when you have a recipe that calls for fresh ginger)
1 bay leaf (I used it, that's why it's in the picture but I don't think you really need it in a dish that has such a strong flavour. I think it gets lost.)
1/2 tsp white sugar
1 tbsp tomato paste
1 can coconut milk
1 cup plain yogurt



What to do:
Start by browning the chicken and then set aside.


Next, soften the onions in a pan. Add the garlic and the vegetables to get them a little soft (I like my vegetables really crispy so I don't leave them for very long.

Then, add the spice mixture (cinnamon, curry, ginger, sugar, paprika, s & p) along with the tomato paste and coconut milk.


Heat this for a few minutes just to give the vegetables a bit more time to soften.
Then, add the chicken back into the mixture.

And the yogurt.


Now, all you have to do is mix everything up and let it heat through until it's bubbling. And, serve over rice. I like jasmine rice but you can use anything you'd like.

1 comment: