Sunday, October 16, 2011

My favourite dip - the green stuff

This post has been a long time coming and I can't believe I've never written about guacamole before!

There are so many different ways to make this delicious green dip and to be honest with you, most of the time, I make it the easy, fast way - with a packaged mix. I know, I know, how can I call myself a foodie if I use this pre-made guacamole mix but it's really good and it also has an ingredient in it that I find even better than citrus for keeping the guac from turning brown.
This isn't the exact one I buy but I think they're all pretty similar. They're also usually placed right by the avocados in the grocery store.

If however, you are feeling ambitious, you can do it this way (this is my favourite way to make it if I have the time/energy/ingredients):

2 avocados
2 tbsp chopped red onion
1 finely chopped jalapeno pepper
handful of chopped cilantro
juice from 1/2 lime.
lots of s & p

Then, you just mash the avocados and mix in the other ingredients. Serve with tortilla chips.

I also have one of these things which is awesome for scooping the avocado out of the skin.
Or, if you're in the grocery store and craving guacamole but don't feel like making it, they have this at Safeway and apparently at Costco too. I haven't tried it but I'm told it's really good and tastes like the real thing. I've never been a fan of pre-made, store-bought guacamole because it just doesn't taste anything like real avocados - I don't think they're meant to be preserved (they turn brown when they're exposed to the air). 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment