Friday, November 11, 2011

The Best (Traditional) Grilled Cheese

Now, I know I've blogged about grilled cheese before; a fancy grilled cheese inspired by one I had in Minneapolis but I'd like to take this time now to blog about my favourite way to make a traditional grilled cheese.

I'm a huge fan of the grilled cheese sandwich and I can honestly say I can and have had it for breakfast, lunch and dinner. But, I like my grilled cheese with a tiny add-on. Onions. Yes, I said onions. My dad is the one who got me started with this trick and I never have a grilled cheese any other way now. I wonder if I'm the only one who does this... (besides my dad of course) If it sounds weird to you, don't knock it until you try it. Seriously. It's so delicious. The onions soften and "cook" a little in the sandwich and offer a tiny crunch, tang and sweetness. And, I dip my grilled cheese in ketchup of course. (Not everyone does this - weird, I know)

I use Natural Bakery rye bread because it's my favourite (it's better if you buy the larger, longer loaf because then you get larger slices). I also have the old cheddar that's already sliced. I think it's from Costco.

Then, butter both of the outside slices of the bread and throw in a pan. Make sure you're patient and do it over very low heat. Otherwise, you'll burn the bread before the cheese inside melts.

Then, when it looks like this, flip it over! It'll take probably around 4 minutes or so. Honestly, once you've done this enough, you'll know by smell. I know it's time to flip when I start to smell toasty bread.

And when it's golden brown on both sides and the cheese is melty, slice in half and serve with a big blob of ketchup. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. I've never thought of dipping my food in ketchup and I'm a ketchup addict. I usually dip mine in Chic-Fil-A sauce because I hoard the stuff. So delicious! Nothing like a classic grilled cheese sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks outstanding, Pam. And only adding onions is perfect for lazy people like me. I think I've found my replacement for KD (shocking).

    ReplyDelete