Friday, November 18, 2011

Thai Green Curry chicken

I apologize because I actually have blogged about this meal before. But, it's so good, I think it deserves a second blog (with step-by-step photos this time).

This meal is perfect any day of the week and it's a great way to use up vegetables that you may have just sitting in the fridge. Because it's essential a stir-fry/soup, there are no rules with regards to what you can and can't put in.

*Just a note: green curry doesn't resemble your typical, yellow Indian curry in any way, shape or form. If you are thinking about skipping over this recipe because you don't like curry, just give it a try! Green curry is a really good example of the perfect balance between salty, sweet and spicy. It's nothing like Indian curry and everyone I've ever introduced it to has loved it!

Here's what I used in mine:


3 cans of coconut milk (which made a HUGE batch)
Thai green curry paste (I got mine at an Asian food store but they have it at regular grocery stores. I believe the brand is Thai Kitchen which I actually like more than the one I used)
Chicken breasts and thighs (I like the mix of white and dark meat)
Lime zest
Fresh Basil and/or cilantro
A whole whack of vegetables (I think I used broccoli, mushrooms, green and red pepper)
Minced onion or shallot
Thai Jasmine rice for serving the whole thing over

What to do:
I started by browning the chicken. I did this in two batches because I had a pound of both thighs and breasts. I always do this even though most recipes just tell you to add it in the broth and cook for 20-25 minutes. This is just too long for me and I like to have a little brown on my chicken. If you poach the chicken in broth, you won't get any colour on it at all.

Next, remove the chicken and sauté the shallots in a little bit of oil just until soft.


Once the shallots are soft, you can add the other vegetables. I covered them at this point just to help steam them a little. I like my vegetables pretty crispy so I didn't cook them for long but anywhere from 4-8 minutes should do the trick.

Next, I added the coconut milk, curry paste and lime zest. I ended up using a lot more curry past than I thought I would, probably because I wasn't as big of a fan of the brand I used as I am of the Thai Kitchen brand. I would say for a batch this size though you would need to add about 5 tbsp. Do it gradually though and taste in between so you can get the exact amount of spice you want.

Then, add back in the cooked chicken.

At the last minute, add in the chopped fresh basil. Basil is a delicate herb and if you add it any earlier, it will completely lose its flavour.

Serve over rice and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I love how you've been posting step-by-step photos for all your posts. It all looks so good. Can I come over for dinner?

    ReplyDelete