Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Homemade Energy Bars

I've been serious about healthy eating since January now and I've lost 8 lbs (yay me!). So as you can imagine, I'm always on the lookout for new and exciting healthy, low cal recipes I can make. I always feel so proud of myself when I'm able to make a healthy meal taste really good!

As you may know (if you read my blog), I was in Regina recently and my friend and road-trip buddy, had what looked like a delicious, homemade chocolate bar with her for a snack on the way. I asked for a bite and couldn't believe it was a healthy energy bar! I had to have the recipe so she shared it with me and I made my own version today. They are really yummy and they're going to be perfect as an afternoon snack.

Part of my motivation for this as well is the fact that I'm good on breakfast, good on lunch and then right around 2:30 I start to get hungry. I've been partially successful in refraining from horrible snacks but I would like another option that I don't have to exercise for an hour for to work off.

What you'll need:


1 cup brown rice syrup (you can also use honey)
1 cup all natural peanut butter - this is the kind that's just strictly ground up peanuts with nothing else added (if you keep your PB in the fridge then bring it to room temp)
1 cup old fashioned rolled oats (I used quick rolled oats)
1/2 cup chocolate flavoured protein powder
1/4 cup dried currants
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds

I got a lot of this stuff at Bulk Barn because I hate buying way to much of something when you need it just for one recipe.


Place the sunflower seeds in a shallow pan and toast on medium heat for about 3-4 minutes stirring often, set aside.


Pour the syrup in a 2 quart pan and bring to a boil on medium-high. Reduce the heat to low and boil stirring constantly for about 3 minutes.


Remove from heat and add the peanut butter.
Stir well.


Next add the oats, protein powder, sunflower seeds and currants.


Press the mixture in a 8 x 8 non stick pan (I line the bottom with parchment paper for easier removal).


After cooled, cut into bars (I cut them into 20) and wrap individually for an easy portable snack.


I put these in the freezer to make sure they stay fresh and delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment