Saturday, February 11, 2012

Ginger Sugar Face & Body Scrub

I have blogged about a sugar scrub before but since I like scrubs so much (and not the kind TLC sang about) I thought I'd blog about the one I made just this morning. I'm going to go straight to the shower after I write this blog!

I found this recipe on Pinterest and I thought I'd give it a try. It's from a blog called Food for my Family. I've become obsessed with Lush products and because they're so expensive, I thought I'd give me own "Lush" type body scrub a try. I just love the idea of using natural products on my skin and it doesn't get as natural as homemade! These would be perfect for a thoughtful and inexpensive gift. I actually did a similar scrub as Christmas gifts for my girlfriends last year.

What you will need:
1/4 cup coconut oil
1 tbsp roughly chopped ginger (I keep mine in the freezer so I can have it on hand all the time)
1/4 cup cold pressed oil like almond, sunflower, tea seed (I used grape seed)
3/4 cup cane sugar (I'm sure regular sugar would work just fine too)
1/4 cup kosher or sea salt
a few drops of essential oil (I used lavender)
1 mason jar

(my dog's helping)

What to do:
1. Add the coconut oil and ginger to a saucepan. Melt the oil and let it infuse with the ginger. This will take about 10 minutes.


This is what it will look like all melty and bubbly.

2. Strain the oil through a fine sieve and mix with the grape seed oil.


3. Let the oil mixture cool and then add the sugar, salt and essential oil.


4. Mix well and pour into a mason jar (the mixture fits pretty much perfectly into the one jar).


**I just tried this and oh my it's fantastic. The ginger and coconut together make an amazing smell in the shower (kind of smells like being on a tropical vacation) and it feels great on the skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment