Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Intro to a "Horror-Filled" 15 weeks (or more!)

Before I start this blog you have to understand a few things about me. First of all, I hate scary movies. Now you may wonder why someone who hates scary movies would want to watch one a week. This is a good question. I suppose I'd like to expand my movie repertoire. As of now I'm kind of stuck in a rut of romantic comedies (or rom coms, as I like to refer to them). This always leads to a fight and/or "you owe me's" in the movie store when my boyfriend is constantly subjected to predictable story lines and girly love stories. I don’t think he cares whether or not Jennifer Lopez is pregnant and he certainly doesn’t care what Kristen Bell is doing in Rome. Another reason I want to do this is to gain some street cred. My sister is 16 and she loves scary movies. She's not scared of anything! I'm 6 years older and I'm the biggest baby. I have to regain my big sister status. (I may have to stop calling her in a whiny panic to come kill a spider if I find one in my room as well but that's a whole other battle. Baby steps though.)

Another personality trait of mine that might be helpful to know is that I'm kind of like a mom. I'm not actually a mom but anyone who knows me would describe me this way. I am always the responsible one and I'm not really the "fun" one. Maybe this exercise will help me to loosen up a bit. Or it could frankly, do the opposite. Who knows? (Gulp)


Another thing I should do is lay out some ground rules:

1. I will only review watch worthy movies. Nothing like "Freddy vs Jason in Space while also Being Attacked by Aliens and/or Predators". I may watch some classics but otherwise, no "B" movies!


2. Under no circumstances will I watch a scary movie by myself. Even if it means I have to grab a random stranger off the street and invite them into my house to watch with me. This will clearly be safer than watching by myself because I'll need protection if something from the screen suddenly shows up in my basement. Of course a stranger would protect me.


3. I’ll try not to give anything away. I don’t want to spoil anything for anyone if I’m writing about a film they’d like to see. That being said though, I want to be able to write about my thoughts and feelings and I don’t want to have to “censor” myself, so to speak. So I guess I should say “Spoiler Alert!” from this point forward.


Tune in next week when I’ll probably be regretting this whole experience. If anything you can all just laugh at my misery and lack of sleep. My first movie will be Shutter Island starring Leonardo DiCaprio. I think it's a good warm-up for me. I'm told it's more of a mystery than a horror so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I won't be sleeping in my parents bed (no guarantees though - and yes, I mean with them).

1 comment:

  1. I like your blog idea! Like you, I hate horror movies, and even blogged about it myself, recently! I've been watching more of them lately, out of necessity, but if there's one thing I hate, it's watching them alone! Even if I'm watching one with someone who'll laugh at me when I start squealing, at least I can bury my head in their shoulder. :)

    ReplyDelete