Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Shutter Island didn't exactly make me shudder.

Shutter Island didn't exactly make me shudder.

It was definitely creepy and there were some disturbing moments but it wasn't so bad and wouldn't fall under the category of horror.

With that said though, it was a very mentally stimulating film.  Leonardo DiCaprio did a great job of portraying the emotional role of Teddy Daniels.

The film has a certain eeriness that's brought forth particularly with the director's color use.  I noticed there are very few warm colors throughout.  A frightening storm is also a nice touch in setting the mood of the film.

Perhaps the best part of the film though is the ending.  After so much second guessing and after being a part of the confusion experienced by Teddy, as the audience you get a sort of "ah hah" feeling at the end when everything comes together.

Overall, Shutter Island is a very strange movie but very well executed and very mentally stimulating.  I think the best movies are ones where you actually have to use your brain to enjoy.

Anyone have any ideas for next week?  Twitter me @Pwanks.  I would prefer something that isn't too scary (I'm trying to ease into it).  And, if anyone ever has something I can borrow that would be great because I will go broke before 15 weeks is up if I always have to rent them.

2 comments:

  1. I like movies that feature people thinking. There are very few!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever seen 28 Days Later? It's my favourite horror movie!

    ReplyDelete