Thursday, January 27, 2011

Go Veggies!

I'm usually not one to have a meal without meat in it (you vegetarians will cringe I know) but I have a goal to lose about 12 lbs before I go to Florida in April so I find cutting out the meat once in awhile makes a huge difference on its own. I got this recipe from an assignment (as part of copy that we had to put on a newsletter that we designed) and thought it looked good so I decided to make it. And I took photos to put on my newsletter. It was a win-win!

Dining on a budget - Vegetarian Chick Pea Curry (serves 2)
2     tsp. vegetable oil
1    large onion, chopped
3    garlic gloves, minced
1    tsp chilli powder
1     tsp. ginger powder
2     tsp. curry powder
1    large can of chick peas, drained 
1    large can chopped tomatoes
1     tsp. sugar
    pepper to taste

Saute onion with vegetable oil in a frying pan until translucent, then add garlic, chili, ginger and curry powder. Cook for a few minutes, then add chick peas, tomatoes, sugar and season to taste. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat stirring frequently. Serve hot over steamed rice or cold in a slice of pita bread.

I made brown rice to go with it. It probably would go better with basmati or something but I just had short grain brown rice so that's what I made.


**It was quite spicy when I made it so if you are sensitive to that, just cut down the chili powder to 1/2 tsp or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment