Friday, February 4, 2011

My absolute favorite-ist dish on the planet

The dish I'm talking about is Thai green curry. Anything with Thai green curry in it, I just die for. The flavour is indescribable. It's just amazing. Here's a recipe for the dish I made last night. I had hardly authentic ingredients - you can use whatever you have. It doesn't matter if it's traditionally Thai. Really, the only essentials to this dish are coconut milk and green curry paste. Both are made by Thai Kitchen (actually there are many brands of coconut milk) and you can find them in the ethnic section of your grocery store.

One thing to mention as well: if you aren't a fan of Indian curry, don't let it stop you from trying this. Most people think of Indian cooking and the typical Indian curry when they think of curry. Trust me, this is way different. Seriously, the flavour doesn't resemble Indian curry in any way.

I used the recipe I found on the curry paste jar (with some of my own variations of course):

2 chicken breasts
1 carrot
2 stalks of celery
1 onion
1/2 cup of frozen peas
1/4 cup of bamboo shoots (I used them because I happen to have a can but I'm not really a huge fan)
1/3 cup of chicken stock (plus some for deglazing the pan)
1 can of coconut milk
2 tbsp of green curry paste
2 tbsp of fish sauce (used a lot in Thai cooking but I think you can get away without it)
2 tbsp of brown sugar
fresh basil (I didn't have any but you can garnish with it at the end if you have some. Just throw the leaves in whole)
noodles or rice
salt and pepper

Before I start, this is going to seem like a lot of steps but it's really not, I promise.

1. Start by cutting the meat into bite size chunks. Salt and pepper them and throw them in a pre-heated, deep frying pan with a little bit of oil until they're browned and cooked through. Remove.
2. Add the chopped carrots, onions and celery until soft. When they're about halfway done, throw in a splash of chicken stock to deglaze the pan. You don't want to leave any of those yummy brown bits behind. Remove.
3. Add the can of coconut milk and the curry paste. Bring to a simmer.
4. Add the chicken stock, fish sauce, sugar, peas and bamboo shoots.
5. Add in the rest of the ingredients you pre-cooked and simmer for a few minutes.
6. Serve over rice or Asian style noodles.

The best part about this recipe is its creamy but coconut milk is way healthier than butter and cream like most cream sauces. Also, if you are a vegetarian, you can use tofu or just no meat at all. There's so much flavour in the dish that it doesn't rely on the meat to make it yummy.

No comments:

Post a Comment