Saturday, February 26, 2011

My new fav Winnipeg restaurant

I am a meat eater.

That's right. I'm not ashamed to say it. I have, however considered becoming a vegetarian a few times (especially after seeing Food, Inc. and reading Skinny Bitch. For me, it's just not the right decision. I respect my friends who choose not to eat meat though (there are a lot of them, surprisingly).

Anyway, what this long preamble goes along with is the fact that I have fallen in love with vegan restaurant, Mondragon. I've been there twice already in the past two weeks and I absolutely love it. Seriously, you don't even miss the meat when you're eating this food. The most amazing part of the restaurant to me is that all of the baking and desserts are vegan as well. I had a cookie and I honestly could not tell that it was vegan. There were no weird textures or flavours; it just tasted like a normal cookie. Even the chocolate chips were just normal. I was amazed.

Another thing that I really like about this restaurant is the fact that you don't have to feel guilty about eating almost 100% of the menu (and no, I don't mean emotional guilt from eating animals. I mean guilt from eating too many calories). When the meat, eggs, and dairy are all cut from a dish, it reduces the calories significantly. The worst part about going to restaurants is the fact that I feel like 90% of the menu is "un-orderable" because it's so fattening (I am actively trying to watch what I eat/lose weight right now).

My favorite dish they have is the roti. Roti is like a burrito filled with vegetables and chickpeas (mmmm, chickpeas) except instead of a flour tortilla, the wrap it's made with chickpea flour. They use just the right amount of curry and spice and they serve it with this apricot chutney and it's so amazing.

Mondragon is on Albert Street right across from The Line Up and just a hop, skip and a jump from where I go to school at Red River College.

**This isn't the actual Mondragon dish but this is what roti looks like.

No comments:

Post a Comment